Truck and engine OEMs press Biden to alleviate chip scarcity
Trucking is sizzling and demand continues to extend for vehicles, together with these with zero emission and accident avoidance applied sciences. A semiconductor scarcity is a matter that continues to hamper manufacturing efforts, and the anemic provide can also be impacting the provision of spare elements which specialists say have additionally diminished automobile repairs.
To assist finish the worldwide chip scarcity, engine and automobile makers have requested the Biden administration to focus extra on assembly their semiconductor wants. This is able to permit them to step up and meet elevated demand for business vehicles, vans and engines at a time when freight ranges proceed to rise because the nation recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic.
In latest letters submitted to the U.S. Bureau of Trade and Security on the dangers posed by the chip scarcity, the Truck & Engine Producers Affiliation (EMA), Cummins, and the American Automaker Coverage Council collectively known as on the Biden administration to concentrate on auto and engine manufacturing turning wheels in america.
[Related: Trucking hits highest mark in over a year]
In a two-page letter, the EMA highlights how demand for medium and heavy vehicles continues to develop in a heavy freight market that features important shipments of COVID-19 vaccines.
“We urge quick motion to alleviate the present semiconductor provide disaster that threatens the flexibility of the business trucking business to supply important items and companies – and preserve our economic system transferring – and to take long-term measures to make sure that the worldwide semiconductor provide chain can meet – and the longer term wants of the heavy-duty business, ”the EMA wrote in a letter posted to Rules.gov.
Vans with anti-collision and zero-emission security applied sciences “would require much more semiconductors,” the EMA factors out.
To assist producers meet the rising demand for vehicles and vans, the EMA recommends “prioritizing automotive grade semiconductors for medium and heavy truck parts and aftermarket elements.”
In a two-page letter, Catherine Van Means, vp of presidency relations at Cummins, goes additional and means that the Biden administration “encourages different customers of semiconductor wafers / chips who at the moment have an oversupply or inventories to briefly scale back orders to permit the automotive business to acquire the mandatory chips to keep away from manufacturing slowdowns or full shutdowns because of lack of semiconductor provide. “
[Related: Truck orders strong as manufacturers battle production slow downs]
Close to the highest of a 12-page letter, the AAPC, which represents Ford, GM and Stellantis (previously FCA), is asking the administration to assist improve chip manufacturing in america, the chairman of the ‘AAPC, Matt Blunt, factors out that whereas the demand for semiconductors is best in america, it solely accounts for about 10% of world manufacturing whereas the remaining 90% happens in China, Japan, in South Korea and Taiwan.
“To keep away from future shortages, the ACPA is due to this fact proposing that at the least 25% of any federal funding for the development of semiconductor wafer / chip manufacturing services go to US services that decide to allocate 25%. of their potential to provide automotive grade wafers / chips, ”writes Blunt.
Relating to chip manufacturing, the EMA notes that the Biden administration is predicted to incorporate provisions to enhance home manufacturing of automotive-grade semiconductor chips as a part of a “aggressive international provide community. “.
Any improve in home chip manufacturing ought to take into consideration the particular wants of the auto business, suggests Means.
“We imagine that any funds or incentives supposed to extend home semiconductor manufacturing ought to specify that a part of the brand new capability goes to manufacturing legacy fashions and bigger format chips that may provide the markets of the world. ‘automotive and business autos,’ Means writes.
Feedback submitted to the Biden administration might assist craft coverage adjustments that would assist finish the chip scarcity. Congress weighed in with a invoice launched within the Home final summer season, dubbed CHIPS for America ACT (HR7178). In accordance with congress.gov, the invoice “establishes investments and incentives to help US semiconductor manufacturing, analysis and improvement, and provide chain safety.”
Blunt means that “the funding of the American taxpayer made by CHIPS for America Act (CHIPS ACT) is reserved for automotive purposes. We imagine that such an funding would assist maximize the impression of the CHIPS Act on financial development and employment in america. “